Join the ACASH Youth Advisory Council
ACASH is now accepting applications for its Youth Advisory Council (YAC) for the 2023-2024 term. ACASH’s Youth Advisory Council is made up of talented young leaders (aged 14 to 19) from across Alabama who are passionate about sexual and reproductive health and want to make a difference in their community and among their peers. This paid opportunity will allow leaders to work closely with ACASH’s staff to brainstorm, practice, and strengthen sexual health education curricula and the creative strategies required to reach other young people with this information.
The goal of the YAC is to improve Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) and wellness among Alabama youth, particularly among youth who experience systemic marginalization or discrimination. This includes promoting traditional health outcomes (reduced STIs, unintended pregnancies, and sexual violence) as well as positive youth development outcomes (increased SRH empowerment and sex-positive culture).
Applications are due Friday, September 29, 2023,11:59 pm CST - APPLY HERE
Successful applicants to ACASHs Youth Advisory Council:
- Youth ages 14 to 19
- Youth who are residents Alabama
- Youth who are leaders in their community or have a desire to become a leader
- Youth who have an interest in sexual and reproductive health and/or social justice
Young people of color and diverse sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.
ACASH’s Youth Advisory Council members must be able to make a commitment of 9 months (October 2023 - June 2024) and work an average of 2 hours per month on activities that include:
- Monthly virtual or in-person meetings
- Giving input on evidence-based programs
- Social media participation and outreach
- Planning and hosting YAC projects, presentations, and events
Youth Advisory Council members receive the following benefits:
- Compensation: Fair compensation for your time ($20/hr), expertise, and travel as well as meal support at meetings.
- Training: Learn about a variety of sexual and reproductive health and social justice topics and leadership skills.
- Leadership development: Actively participate in ACASH’s programs and campaigns by sharing your expertise and giving feedback (through surveys, focus groups) on youth programs, policies, and resources from other organizations.
- Networking: Collaborate and meet other young leaders across the country who are equally passionate about sexual and reproductive health, youth advocacy, and social justice.
- Friday, September 29, 2023: Application due.
- Monday, October 2, 2023: ACASH will contact candidates who make it past the initial application review to set up 20-minute phone interviews.
- Monday, October 9, 2023: Notifications of acceptance will be sent via email.